Jack Merritt and Saskia Jones

Image copyright
Met Police

Image caption

Jack Merritt and Saskia Jones were killed during a conference to rehabilitate offenders near London Bridge

A man who stabbed two people to death and wounded three others in a “terror-related” attack was shot dead by police on London Bridge after he was held down by members of the public.

The suspect, Usman Khan, 28, had been released from jail on licence in 2018, half way through a 16-year sentence for terrorism offences.

Cambridge University graduate Jack Merritt, 25, and former student Saskia Jones, 23, were killed in the attack.

The victims

Image caption

Messages of condolences left at London Bridge

Jack Merritt, studied law at the University of Manchester before going to Cambridge to continue his studies.

Saskia Jones, was from Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, and both were involved in a university prisoner rehabilitation programme at Cambridge University.

Image copyright
Met Police

Image caption

Saskia Jones was killed in the London Bridge attack

Mr Merritt from Cottenham, Cambridgeshire, was a co-ordinator and Ms Jones a volunteer, the Met Police said.

The family of Ms Jones, paid tribute to her as a “positive influence at the centre of many people’s lives”.

Earlier on Sunday Prof Stephen Toope, vice-chancellor of the university, said: “I am sad beyond words to report that a course co-ordinator, Jack Merritt, was killed, as was a former student.”

They were attacked during a conference being held on Friday afternoon at Fishmongers’ Hall, at the north end of London Bridge.

Mr Merritt had a “deep commitment” to the scheme, known as Learning Together, according to people who worked with him.

His father David Merritt said his son was “a beautiful spirit who always took the side of the underdog”.

A member of university staff was also among the three people injured.

One of those hurt left hospital on Sunday, and the other two remain in a stable condition, the NHS said.

What happened?

Image copyright
Geograph/N Chadwick

Image caption

Fishmongers Hall, below London Bridge

Khan’s attack began at 13:58 GMT inside Fishmongers’ Hall.

Fishmonger Company chief executive Toby Williamson said staff who fought Khan as he launched his attack believed he was wearing a bomb.

He described the scene inside the hall as a game of “pinball bomb with added knives”.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionLondon Bridge attack: ‘Pinball bomb with added knives’

He said one staff member in the hall’s reception tried in vain to hold Khan back behind doors while another calmly placed a call to emergency services.

Mr Williamson said two men used chairs, fire extinguishers and narwhal tusks, which were hanging on the wall, to fend off Khan after he broke through the doors, driving him out of the building.

Khan was forced out of Fishmongers’ Hall by a group of men – with hall staff joined by participants of the Learning Together conference – said to include ex-prisoners, probation and prison staff.

Two men can be seen in a video holding the attacker back using a whale tusk, seized from a wall mount, and a fire extinguisher spray, before others stepped in to pin him down.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionVideo footage shows moment London Bridge attacker was apprehended

In a second video a man is seen walking away holding a large knife they had retrieved. British Transport Police said later he was a plain clothes officer.

The Metropolitan Police said its armed officers arrived on the scene within five minutes of the initial 999 call.

The people holding Khan down were moved away by the armed police officers after they thought he was wearing a suicide vest under his jacket.

He was then shot by an officer.

The Met’s assistant commissioner said the explosive vest which turned out to be a hoax looked “very convincing”.

What do we know about the attacker?

Image copyright
West Midlands Police

Image caption

Usman Khan, 28, was jailed in 2012 over a plot to blow up the London Stock Exchange

Mr Basu said Khan was released from jail in December 2018.

He had been convicted in 2012 after plotting with a group from Stoke-on-Trent, London and Cardiff.

They discussed attacking the London Stock Exchange and pubs in Stoke, and setting up a jihadist training camp in Pakistan.

Image caption

Usman Khan was photographed in 2008

One of the conditions of his release was that he should wear an electronic tag.

He also had to take part in the government’s desistance and disengagement programme, the purpose of which is the rehabilitation of people who have been involved in terrorism. The Parole Board said it had no involvement in his release from jail.

Usman Khan had spent years preaching in Stoke and had links to the banned organisation al-Muhajiroun.

Image copyright
West Midlands Police

Image caption

Usman Khan (fourth from the left), pictured in Roath Park, Cardiff on 7 November 2010

What is happening now?

Image caption

A church service at Southwark Cathedral in London offered prayers for the victims of Friday’s attack

An urgent review of the licence conditions of people jailed for terror offences has been launched by the Ministry of Justice (MoJ).

It confirmed the number of offenders convicted of terrorism offences who are currently under supervision in the community is 74.

In a Twitter response to Brendan Cox, whose MP wife Jo Cox was murdered, Jack Merritt’s father said: “I obviously don’t have full facts about the process that led to the attacker being released but what I can say with certainty is that no one at the event had the slightest inkling that he could or would do something like this.

“We don’t need knee-jerk reactions.”

Prayers have been said at Southwark Cathedral for Jack and the unnamed woman killed.

The Dean, the Very Revd Andrew Nunn, said the incident had brought back memories of the 2017 attack.

Officers have been carrying out two searches; in Stafford where Khan is believed to have lived, and in Stoke-on-Trent.

Mr Basu said police were going through at least 500 images and videos sent to them.

Image caption

Officers removed items from the house in Stafford

Police patrols across London have been increased as a result of the attack.

The Queen sent “thoughts, prayers and deepest sympathies to all those who have lost loved ones” on behalf of herself and Prince Philip.

Image copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Large areas of London Bridge remain cordoned off

blocked drains Sittingbourne

Source link

Comments 0

Leave a Comment